2/04/2011 04:57:00 PM

Mac 'n' Cheese

My favorite food ever. I've been told I'd grow out of it as an adult, start to like more complex things. And, yeah, I've learned to like a lot more foods as an adult, but nothing will ever replace my beloved mac n cheese. There are a lot of recipes for it that I like, but this is my fallback recipe. The recipe I use when nothing else will do and I just want that delicious creamy familiar comfort food.
Mac 'n' Cheese

Ingredients

  • 1 (16 ounce) package elbow macaroni
  • 9 tablespoons butter
  • 4 cups shredded cheese, I like to combine a few (often cheddar, smoked gouda, parmesan, and some monterrey jack)
  • 2 cups cream
  • 8 ounces cubed velveta
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 pound bacon
  • 1/2 pound sausage (I prefer sage, as always)
Optional
  • 1/2 cup crushed potato chip crumbs
  • 1 tablespoon butter
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Cook the sausage and bacon, set aside on paper towel to soak up as much extra grease as possible.
Bring a pot of water to boil, lightly salted and with 1 tablespoon of butter. Cook the macaroni according to the directions on the package, drain well, and return to pot.
In a saucepan combine the cream and cubed velveta, stirring until the velveta's entirely melted. Continue to let this cook until it begins to boil, making sure to stir often so it doesn't scorch. Once it begins to boil, remove from heat.
Melt 8 tablespoons of butter in the microwave, pour over macaroni, stir.
Pour the shredded cheese into a large bowl and mix until well combined with each type being spread throughout.
Crumble the bacon and sausage.
Pour the cream and velveta mixture over the noodles. Add the shredded cheese, the meats, and the salt, stir thoroughly. Pour into lightly buttered 3 quart casserole dish.
Optional: Crush potato chips, combine 1/2 cups chip crumbs with 1 tablespoon melted butter and sprinkle over the top of the macaroni and cheese.
Bake for 35 minutes or until the top has gotten a little crispy and the cheese is bubbling.

0 comments: