2/04/2011 04:52:00 PM

Cinnamon Apple Oatmeal Cookies

My father doesn't like oatmeal raisin cookies. So I set out to come up with a recipe for oatmeal cookies that used something other than raisins. Luckily, he and I both LOVE cinnamon apple oatmeal, so I had an idea of what I should make. There are a couple different way to make these cookies. They can be made with cinnamon apple instant oatmeal packets or plain oatmeal and chopped up bits of apple.
Cinnamon Apple Oatmeal Cookies
  • 1/4 cup butter if using instant packets, 1/2 cup divided in half if using oatmeal and apples
  • 1 cup applesauce
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 2 egss
  • 2 tablespoons vanilla
  • 1 1/2 cups flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 2 tablespoons cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt (I prefer kosher)
  • 10 packets apple cinnamon oatmeal or 2 cups plain oatmeal
  • 2 cups apples
  • 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
If you're using oatmeal and apples, peel your apples, dice them and put them in a pot with half the butter, cooking until soft. If using instant packets, skip this step.
Mix 1/4 cup butter, applesauce, b rown sugar, eggs, and vanilla.
Mix in flour, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, and salt.
Mix in oatmeal and apples, or packets. Sometimes at this step I like to chop up a cup or so of dried apple pieces and mix them in for extra apple, but it's not necessary.
Spray a cookie sheet with nonstick spray and drop tablespoons of batter onto it. Bake for 12 minutes. Remove to wire rack to cool.
I've made these a number of times now, and I think I might actually prefer them with the instant oatmeal packets. Make sure you've got a big glass of milk ready to enjoy these with!

0 comments: